2008년 3월 24일 월요일

My third question : Do you think first impression tell a lot about people?

Today, in Jeff's evening class, we had some activity to guess who says yes, no and it depends in some difficult situation to decide what to do. I knew it was very hard to guess anyone's thinking even if we have taken the same class for 3 weeks.
We can think about this. Many people believe they can judge others' personality just by frist impression like appearance, hair style and clothes. As for me, when I was young, I believed we can. Now, I don't think so because I have discovered that first impression changes. So many times, I have experienced someone who looks not good at first become a very cool person when I came to know him or her better. How about you?

Do you think first impression tell a lot about people?

댓글 5개:

Sammy :

Hi, Joey
You're question is always nice, so I cannot but comment here.^^
As we know, psychologists experimented how differently animals respond to both a good-looking person and a human-like doll. Interestingly, the results of amimals response to person was inconsistent, and the ones of their response to a doll showed consistent result. They prefer to a soft doll. According my experiment and observation, young child doesn't think much of person's appearence, but they respond sensitively to the facial expression. As time goes by, a child acquires social prejudice about beauty, and it usually become their criteria of judgment.
Important thing is we express our thought, feeling, character by facial expression, which can represent the people, especially older people can't hide their nature if we try to find out it.
My conclusion is first impression is, if we parctice, the portal to understand the person.

PAUL :

Joey you are nice singer, so I think your first impression is very calmness and generous.
I don't make sense why did you
ask this question. pls reply to my blog asap.

익명 :

Actually, the first impression about only appearance fails in giving much information. However, the one with some chat for a while could serve as a rough draft about the person, I think. If he or she wants to hide beneath false colors or display some affectation, then the chances are that we'll be tricked. However, other than that, I think we have humps to get to know the person roughly except the detailed or deep true character. In a nutshell, I mean the first impression is like an outline and the impressions after that are the 5 paragraphs with evidential episodes or new turning points.
I admit that there are many cases which betray our expectation. Whether it is true or not, I want to make it clear that the first impression is not important. Whether people got me right or wrong with the first impression, we have time to get it better or fix it right. And the most important thing is "the last impression"!!! The last impression will last forever, unless we get another chance to renovate it...(This is what I always tell my students-especially the third graders)

Eric :

Absolutely no. I believe that first impression is a kind of sweet illusion totally based on observer's experiences and standard. We maybe tell it as a kind of prejudice. Remember that how many times we've failed with a wrong first impression. Especially, because our job is a teacher who meet hundreds of students having unlimited potential every year, our thoughless prejudice could make them have deep hurts which is not able to erase for their all life. Oh, God. Please help us to be a man of insight.

Nicole :

Hi Joey,
Very thoughtful question and the answers you've gotten are wonderful. I think that, personally, I tend to make judgements on people when I first make them and then adjust my judgement as I get to know them better.